- Clean and efficient public transport system with international reputation.
- Good park and ride system.
- Low ticket prices on public transport.
- Expanding commuter rail and metro system.
- Public transport system increasingly running with environmentally sound vehicles.
- Extensive cycle network.
- Metropolitan area has good international transport links for passengers and cargo.
- Good rail links through
Russiato Chinaand the . Pacific Coast
- Energy consumption per capita on transport twice that of European average.
- Low population density makes average journeys longer.
- Public transport weak in cross city directions resulting in increased traffic congestion.
- Rush hour congestion in suburbs.
- Sea lanes freeze in winter.
- Intensified urban structure would make public transport provision easier to provide.
Opportunityto be a worldwide leader in the implementation of sustainable public transport.
- Bridge link to
Tallinnwould make overland link to the heart of Europe and symbolically link Helsinkito Europe.
- Population growth leading to increased congestion and vehicle emissions.
- Underinvestment in public transport.